This recipe is taken from the 2018 Milk Calendar. Who doesn’t love the clean, fresh flavours of Greek cuisine?
- Prep: 15 min
- Cooking: 10 min
- Marinade Time: 2 h
- 1 pork tenderloin about 1 lb (500 g)
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) lemon
- 2 large cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp (10 mL) dried oregano leaves
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1 orange or yellow pepper cored, seeded and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) coarsely grated unpeeled English cucumber
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) plain Canadian yogurt preferably Greek-style or Balkan-style
- 2 tsp (10 mL) lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped fresh mint (optional)
- Halloumi & Red Pepper Skewers
- 2 slices Canadian Halloumi each 1/2 inch (1 cm) thick
- 1 red pepper cored, seeded and cut into bite-size pieces
- 8 medium skewers
DID YOU KNOW?
When you see the Blue Cow Logo on a product, it means it’s made with 100% Canadian quality milk.LEARN MORE
Cut pork into chunks, about 1½ inches (4 cm) in size. Place in a medium bowl. Add lemon juice, garlic, oregano and pepper; stir to mix. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, but preferably overnight.
Using your hands, squeeze grated cucumber to remove all cucumber liquid. Place cucumber in a bowl with yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, salt and mint. Stir. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Halloumi & Red Pepper Skewers:
Just before grilling, prepare skewers by cutting Halloumi slices into bite-size pieces (you will need 8 pieces). Randomly thread Halloumi onto 4 skewers with red pepper pieces.
Grease grill and preheat barbecue to medium-high. Remove pork from marinade; thread onto 4 skewers with orange pepper. Sprinkle with salt. Barbecue for 10 min, turning occasionally and brushing with marinade until cooked through. Place Halloumi skewers on barbecue for the last 3 min of grilling pork. Turn occasionally until peppers and Halloumi are grilled. Serve drizzled with tzatziki or serve tzatziki on the side.
If using wooden skewers, soak in water to prevent burning. All barbecues are different, so use this timing as a guide only and check for doneness.
Use the tzatziki as a dip for mini carrots, celery sticks and cherry tomatoes.
Marinate Halloumi in lemon juice and fresh herbs. Grill slices on barbecue. Serve on top of sliced tomatoes.
Learn more about
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||16 % / 171 mg|
|Vitamin B6:||71 %|