Bring the luck of the Irish to your St. Patrick’s Day celebration with these adorable and delicious pots of gold. Under the rainbow, you’ll find a tender, moist, chocolate cupcake (made from scratch in just one bowl!), rich, creamy icing and, of course, gold treasure in the form of candy!
- Prep: 30 min - 40 min
- Cooking: 25 min
- 1 cup (250 mL) granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup (125 mL) 10% half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) butter melted
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp (10 mL) vanilla extract
- 1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking powder
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 3 oz (90 g) bittersweet (dark) chocolate, (65 to 70% cacao), chopped
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) 10% half-and-half cream
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) butter softened
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup (250 mL) icing sugar
- <br>Yellow candies or gold decorator sugar (see Tips)
- 12 paper rainbow picks (see Tips)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line a 12-cup muffin pan with large-size paper liners.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together sugar and cocoa powder. Gradually whisk in cream until blended; whisk in butter, egg and vanilla. Without stirring, add flour, baking powder and salt; stir until batter is smooth and blended.
3. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups. Bake for about 25 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched. Let cool in pan on a rack for 10 minutes; transfer to rack to cool completely.
4. Icing: In a small saucepan, combine chocolate and cream. Heat over medium-low heat, whisking often, for about 3 minutes, until melted and smooth. Let cool to room temperature, stirring often.
5. In a deep bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter, cocoa and cream mixture until blended. Add icing sugar and beat until fluffy.
6. If desired, peel papers off cupcakes. Spread tops generously with icing, creating a hollow “pot” in the centre. Fill with yellow candies or sugar and arrange on a green platter or tray. Insert rainbow picks to hover above the gold.
Cooled, undecorated cupcakes can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 day. Decorated cupcakes can be kept refrigerated, covered with plastic wrap or in an airtight container, for up to 8 hours. If you prefer to decorate them a day ahead, spread with icing but don’t add the candies as they’ll soften. Fill the pots and insert the rainbow picks just before serving.
Look for small yellow candies about 1/2 inch (1 cm) in diameter such as candy-coated chocolates or fruit candies. Alternatively, you can slice miniature marshmallows crosswise into 1/4-inch (0.5 cm) thick slices and either dip them into a mixture of yellow food colouring and water, or dip them in plain water and press into gold decorator sugar to coat. Place coated marshmallows on a plate to dry for several hours before assembling cupcakes.
To make rainbow picks for your Pots of Gold, cut out arc-shapes from heavy paper and colour strips of a rainbow, or search online for rainbow templates to print out and cut. Glue rainbows onto toothpicks to insert in the cupcakes. There are also printable rainbow cupcake wrappers available online.
Alternatively, look for rainbow ribbon candy and cut pieces to arch over the pot, inserting in the edges of the cupcakes.
Learn more about
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||7 % / 80 mg|
|Vitamin A:||13 %|