Young and old alike will adore this bread for dessert, breakfast or a snack. You can double the recipe to make sure you always have extra on hand in the freezer.
- Prep: 20 min
- Cooking: 55 min - 1 h
- Enough butter to butter the baking pan
- 2 cups (500 mL) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking soda
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground cardamom or nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) butter at room temperature
- 1 cup (250 mL) packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (250 mL) unsweetened pumpkin purée
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) Milk
- 1 cup (250 mL) mix of your choice of dried fruit (cranberries, dates, apricots) coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) hazelnuts coarsely chopped (optional)
- Cream Cheese icing
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Canadian Cream cheese at room temperature
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) icing sugar
DID YOU KNOW?
When you see the Blue Cow Logo on a product, it means it's made with 100% Canadian quality milk that meets some of the highest standards in the world.
Preheat oven to 350 °F (180 °C). Butter a 5 x 9-in (13 x 23 cm) baking pan.
In a bowl, combine the dry ingredients and set aside. In a large bowl, cream the butter and brown sugar together until smooth; then add one egg at a time, the pumpkin purée, the vanilla extract and the lemon zest. Alternate adding the dry ingredients and the milk. Add the dried fruit and nuts and pour into the pan. Bake for approximately 1 hour until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Let cool for 15 minutes before removing from the pan.
Cream Cheese Icing:
In a bowl, beat all ingredients together until smooth. Spread over the cooled bread.
Practical tips: Without the icing, 1 or 2 slices heated up in the toaster make a good breakfast.
Tips: Let the eggs, purée and milk warm up to room temperature before mixing to prevent separation.
For a flavour twist: Replace the hazelnuts with pecans. Use different types of dried fruit.
Children can help too: Let children measure the ingredients, which is a fun way for them to learn math.
Increase the fibre content: Use half unbleached flour and half whole-wheat or Kamut® flour.
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||9 % / 98 mg|