Inspired by traditional Mexican cooking, it’s the perfect dish for a weekend brunch. You’ll discover a colourful and nutritious egg dish garnished with delicious Canadian Brick cheese.
- Prep: 15 min
- Cooking: 20 min
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) white kidney beans rinsed and drained
- 1/2 red bell pepper cut into strips
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper cut into strips
- 1/2 green bell pepper cut into strips
- 4 plum tomatoes sliced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) chili powder
- 2 1/2 cups (625 mL) low sodium tomato sauce
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 6 eggs
- 4 oz (130 g) Canadian Brick cheese shredded
Preheat oven to 450 °F (230 °C).
In a large oven-safe skillet, melt butter on medium heat and sauté onion, garlic and white kidney beans for 5 minutes.
Add bell peppers, tomatoes and chili powder, and cook another 5 minutes. Pour tomato sauce into skillet and bring to a boil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Crack eggs one at a time and add to tomato sauce. Top with Brick cheese and brown in the oven.
Serving suggestion: Garnish with fresh coriander (cilantro) and serve with toasted bread.
Cheese alternatives: Canadian Mild Cheddar, Monterey Jack.
Learn more about
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||24 % / 260 mg|
|Vitamin C:||80 %|
|Vitamin E:||36 %|