This may become your go-to pasta. If chorizo is too spicy, by all means substitute mild Italian and eliminate the chili flakes altogether.
- Prep: 5 min
- Cooking: 25 min
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried basil
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) hot pepper flakes
- 1 lb (450 g) fresh chorizo or mild Italian sausage cut into bite size-chunks
- 1 can (28 oz/ 796 mL) plum tomatoes drained
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) tomato paste
- 1 cup (250 mL) 15 % or 18 % cream
- 12 oz (360 g) rigatoni or gemelli pasta
In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Sauté onion and garlic for 2 min. Stir in oregano, basil, salt and hot pepper flakes and cook for 1 min. Add sausage; cook, stirring, for about 5 min or until cooked through. Add tomatoes; mash with potato masher until very broken up. Stir in tomato paste and cream. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally for 15 min.
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to the boil. Add pasta; cook according to package directions. Drain well; return to pot. Pour in the sauce, stirring until pasta is well coated.
Salting the pasta water is really important as it brings out the flavour of the pasta.
Lean ground beef would be a great substitute for sausage.
Learn more about
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||14 % / 156 mg|
|Vitamin B12:||64 %|