Roasting fennel softens its licorice flavour and is a perfect match for salty prosciutto. This side dish is welcome alongside any main course.
- Prep: 15 min
- Cooking: 40 min
- 1 large bulb fennel (about 1-1/2 lbs/750 g)
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) butter
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh thyme
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) 18% table cream
- Prosciutto Breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 4 oz (125 g) sliced prosciutto chopped
- 1 cup (250 mL) fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped fresh parsley
1. Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
2. Trim root end and cut top fronds off fennel bulb and discard. Cut bulb in half lengthwise and cut each half into 8 wedges.
3. In a large skillet, melt 2 tbsp (25 mL) of butter over medium-high heat; add fennel wedges, thyme, garlic and pepper, sauté for about 8 minutes or until light golden. Scrape into 10 cup (2.5 L) shallow baking dish. Pour cream over top.
4. Prosciutto Breadcrumbs: Return skillet to medium-high heat and melt butter; cook prosciutto for about 4 minutes or until crispy. Remove from heat; stir in breadcrumbs and parsley and sprinkle over fennel. Bake for about 25 minutes or until fennel is tender but firm and breadcrumbs are golden.
Make fresh breadcrumbs by placing sliced bread or buns in a food processor and pulsing until crumbs form. Place any extra in the freezer for another recipe.
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||4 % / 47 mg|
|Vitamin A:||10 %|
|Vitamin C:||11 %|