Root vegetable gratinOur dietitians' favourite
This is the Root vegetable gratin recipe.
- Prep: 20 min
- Cooking: 1 h 15
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 4 cups (1 L) potatoes thinly sliced
- 2 cups (500 mL) rutabaga thinly sliced
- 1 cup (250 mL) parsnips thinly sliced
- 1 cup (250 mL) carrots thinly sliced
- 1 cup (250 mL) sodium-reduced beef broth
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) fresh parsley chopped
- freshly ground pepper
- 6 oz (180 g) Canadian Provolone sliced
DID YOU KNOW?
When you see the Blue Cow Logo on a product, it means it’s made with 100% Canadian quality milk.LEARN MORE
Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
In a large, oven-safe baking dish or in individual gratin dishes, layer the vegetables, alternating with half the sliced Provolone.
Mix the beef broth with parsley and pepper. Pour into dish(es).
Top with remaining cheese and cover with aluminum foil.
Bake in oven 60 minutes, remove foil and continue cooking for another 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender and the cheese browned.
For even thinner slices of vegetables, use a mandoline.
Variations:Canadian Cheddar, Mozzarella, Swiss cheese.
Learn more about
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||19 % / 213 mg|
|Vitamin A:||19 %|
|Vitamin C:||52 %|