Plan ahead on the weekend so you have leftover roast beef or steak to make this easy version of a classic. While it bakes, get the homework out of the way, make a salad, set the table and you’re ready to enjoy a home-cooked meal.
- Prep: 15 min
- Cooking: 1 h 15
- 2 cups (500 mL) chopped cooked roast beef or steak (about 12 oz/375 g)
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) frozen green peas
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) 10 % cream or 18 % cream
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried herbes de Provence or dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) all-purpose flour
- 4 small potatoes shredded (about 2 cups/500 mL)
Preheat oven to 350 °F (180 °C). Butter an 8-inch (20 cm) casserole or glass baking dish.
In a bowl, combine beef, peas, 1/4 cup (60 ml) of the cream, tomato paste, herbes de Provence. Add salt and pepper to taste. Spread into prepared baking dish.
In another bowl, using a fork, whisk remaining 1/2 cup (125 ml) cream with egg, flour. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add potatoes and toss to evenly coat. Spread evenly over beef mixture.
Cover and bake for about 1 hr or until filling is bubbling and potatoes are tender. Uncover and bake for about 15 min or until top is golden.
Use your favourite frozen or cooked vegetables in place of the peas. Small pieces work best.
To speed up baking, use cooked potatoes (leftover or bake them in the microwave) and decrease the baking time to 30 min then uncover for another 15 min.
Learn more about
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||10 % / 106 mg|
|Vitamin B12:||91 %|
|Vitamin B6:||57 %|
|Vitamin C:||78 %|