Full of fresh flavour and lower in fat, these easy fajitas make family dining- in so much fun and at a fraction of the cost of eating out. Set out bowls of extra shredded Canadian Cheddar cheese, chopped tomatoes, chopped romaine lettuce, and sour cream or thick yogurt; then bring the warmed tortillas and chicken and veggie mixture to the table and allow everyone to personalize their fajitas ' watch them disappear.
- Prep: 15 min
- Cooking: 10 min - 15 min
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 12 oz (375 g) boneless skinless chicken cut into strips
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tsp (5 mL) chili powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 8 small (7-in/18 cm) whole wheat tortillas
- 1 cup (250 mL) sliced mushrooms
- 1 onion halved and thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper sliced into strips
- 1 green bell pepper sliced into strips
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded Canadian Cheddar cheese
Preheat oven to 350 °F (180 °C).
In a medium microwave-safe bowl melt 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter in the microwave. Add chicken, lime juice, chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper and garlic; mix well and set aside.
Wrap tortillas in foil and warm in oven 8 minutes or until heated through.
Meanwhile, heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and melt remaining butter. Add mushrooms, onion and peppers; cook stirring frequently for 6 minutes or until vegetables are tender-crisp. Transfer to bowl. Add chicken strips to skillet and cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes or until chicken is lightly browned and no longer pink inside. Return vegetables to skillet; stir until heated through, about 1 minute.
Spoon chicken and vegetable mixture over centre of each tortilla and sprinkle with Canadian Cheddar cheese. Serve with suggested toppings.
- A toaster oven is a super small efficient appliance and works great for warming the tortillas.
- Prepared salsa can replace fresh tomatoes.
- Do it yourself for less. Purchase mushrooms whole and slice them yourself.
- This recipe is equally delicious prepared with boneless, skinless turkey, boneless grilling beef or pork loin. Using skinless chicken is a healthy and delicious way to cut back on fat. Chicken thighs or breasts work equally well in this recipe. Trim all visible fat before cooking. Buy in bulk and package in freezer bags or airtight containers in quantities used in your favourite recipes. This allows you to thaw exactly the amount you need overnight in the refrigerator.
- Replace mushrooms, with 1/2 cup (125 mL) fresh, frozen or canned corn. Or use canned sliced mushrooms.
- Use Canadian Monterey Jack instead of Canadian Cheddar.
- Kick it up a notch and add 1/2 tsp (2 mL) hot pepper flakes along with the spices.
- For an extra burst of flavour, grate the zest of the lime before juicing and stir in with the lime juice.
For Fun:A great way to have a fun night in is to create a theme night. Let the children craft place mats or decorations. Cover the table with a Mexican style cloth or even a blanket. Turn on some salsa music and let the festivities begin.
Learn more about
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||11 % / 126 mg|
|Vitamin C:||62 %|
|Vitamin B6:||16 %|