A chicken pie with an Italian twist... The polenta combines with the chicken sauce for extra creaminess. A great idea: get out your French onion soup bowls to make individual servings.
- Prep: 25 min
- Cooking: 25 min - 30 min
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) butter
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups (625 mL) Milk
- 2 tsp (10 mL) chicken broth or Salt and pepper to taste
- Chicken Sauce
- 1 small onion minced
- 1 cup (250 mL) carrots diced
- 1 cup (250 mL) celery diced
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) green beans cut into small pieces
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) red bell pepper diced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) fennel seed crushed
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Butter
- 2 cups (500 mL) cooked chicken cubed
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) fresh parsley chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Polenta Crust
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) chicken broth
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) Milk
- Pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) fine corn semolina (polenta)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Canadian Mozzarella shredded
In a small saucepan, melt the butter over low heat and add the flour. Cook while stirring for 2 minutes. Gradually pour in the milk while whisking. Add the chicken broth along with some salt and pepper. Bring to a gentle boil while stirring constantly. Set aside.
In a medium-sized saucepan, sweat the vegetables and fennel in the butter over medium heat. Pour in the béchamel and cook over very low heat for 20 minutes. Add the cooked chicken and fresh parsley. Pour into 4 French onion soup bowls or other ramekins that hold 1 1/2 cups (375 mL). Place on a baking sheet.
In a small saucepan, heat the broth and milk over medium heat until simmering. Sprinkle in the corn semolina and reduce the heat to minimum. Continue to stir with a wooden spoon until the mixture starts coming off the sides of the saucepan, which will take from 5 to 10 minutes. Add the Canadian Mozzarella, mix and season to taste. Divide the polenta among the bowls.
Preheat oven to broil. Broil the small pies (make sure they aren't too close to the heat source).
Get a head start: These small pies can be made up to 2 days in advance; in this case, the vegetables should not be cooked as long. Reheat in a 350 °F (180 °C) oven for 20 minutes before putting under the broiler.
For a flavour twist: Add other varieties of fresh herbs as desired: basil, oregano, rosemary or savory.
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||34 % / 373 mg|
|Vitamin B12:||83 %|
|Vitamin C:||77 %|
|Vitamin A:||57 %|