This recipe is taken from the 2004 Milk Calendar. This is one of those recipes you'll pass on to a friend. This dressing is much lighter and fresh tasting than most sandwich salads, making this a great sandwich for lunch or dinner as it includes all four food groups.
- Prep: 20 min
- Cooking: 6 min
- 1 cup (250 mL) Milk
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) light mayonnaise
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) chili powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) grated lime rind
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) freshly ground pepper
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lime juice
- 1 lb (450 g) turkey breast cutlets
- 2 green onions sliced
- 1 carrot shredded
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) corn kernels thawed if frozen
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Canadian jalapeno-flavoured Monterey Jack or Canadian Monterey Jack shredded or Canadian Havarti cheese
- 4 slices whole grain bread or crusty whole grain rolls
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh coriander
Preheat barbecue to medium-high or oven broiler.
In bowl, whisk milk with mayonnaise, garlic, sugar, chili powder, lime rind, salt and pepper. Gradually whisk in vinegar and lime juice. Let stand for at least 10 min or until thickened.
Meanwhile, grill or broil turkey cutlets for about 3 min per side or until no longer pink inside. Let cool slightly. Using two forks or your hands, shred turkey into small strips.
In large bowl, combine shredded turkey, green onions, carrot, corn and cheese. Pour in dressing and toss to coat. Lightly toast bread, if desired. Evenly spoon on turkey salad. Sprinkle with coriander.
For the Adventurous: Add 1 to 2 tsp (5 to 10 mL) chipotle-flavoured barbecue sauce to dressing and top sandwiches with sliced avocado.
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||22 % / 244 mg|
|Vitamin A:||52 %|
|Vitamin B6:||39 %|