This is the Spaghettini with Fresh Tomato and Basil Sauce recipe.
- Prep: 10 min
- Cooking: 10 min
- 1 pkg (1 lb/450 g) spaghettini
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) butter
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 4 cups (1 L) diced plum tomatoes
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) packed chopped fresh basil leaves
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Grated Canadian Parmesan cheese
- Hot pepper flakes optional
Cook spaghettini according to package directions. Drain.
Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat until foamy. Add garlic. Cook and stir 2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and bring mixture to the boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in basil and vinegar. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Drain pasta and return to pot. Pour tomato mixture over pasta; toss to combine. Sprinkle each serving with Canadian Parmesan cheese and hot pepper flakes, if desired.
Add 1 cup (250 mL) thinly sliced mushrooms and 1/4 cup (60 mL) sliced green onions to recipe and cook in the melted butter along with the garlic.