This is the Spicy Canapés with Shrimp and Grilled Red Pepper recipe.
- Prep: 15 min
- Cooking: 5 min - 10 min
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) water
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) white wine
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 lb (450 g) shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1 cup (250 mL) Canadian Ricotta cheese
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) grilled red bell pepper roughly chopped
- 1 green onion roughly chopped
- 1 hot pepper grilled and de-seeded or a few drops hot pepper sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) your choice of fresh herbs (basil, chive, thyme, oregano, parsley.)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- About 24 slices of fresh bread or toasted bread
- Zest of one lemon
In a pan, combine water, wine and lemon juice. Bring to the boil and season generously. Cook the shrimp in this liquid (known as a 'court-bouillon') 5 min or until pink and then cool quickly without rinsing. Set aside 1/4 cup (60 mL) of court-bouillon.
Puree all the spread ingredients including the Ricotta cheese in a food processor, mix in the herb and season. If the mixture is too thick, add the reserved court-bouillon.
Top each bread slice with a little of the spread, or spread it with a knife. Add a shrimp, garnish with lemon zest and a sprig of fresh herb.
Refrigerate until you are ready to serve canapés.
Véronique Gagnon-Lalanne, chef