Looking into your plate and having it look back at you can be quite scary! These eyeballs are a perfect Halloween party appetizer or a fun dinner for the family.
- Prep: 15 min
- Cooking: 15 min
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) dry seasoned breadcrumbs
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) shredded Canadian white Cheddar cheese
- 1 large clove garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried basil
- dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) fresh ground pepper
- 1 lb (450 g) extra lean ground chicken or ground turkey
- 1 jar (12 oz/375 mL) queen size pimento stuffed green olives drained
- Pasta sauce (optional)
DID YOU KNOW?
When you see the Blue Cow Logo on a product, it means it’s made with 100% Canadian quality milk.LEARN MORE
Preheat oven to 375 °F (190 °C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, stir together egg and 3 tbsp (45 mL) of the breadcrumbs, Cheddar cheese, garlic, basil, thyme and pepper. Add ground chicken and using your hands mix well to combine. Using about 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the mixture, roll into a ball and then roll into remaining breadcrumbs and place on baking sheet. Repeat with remaining mixture.
Push 1 olive into each meatball and reshape as necessary to form eyeball. Bake for about 15 minutes or until golden brown and no longer pink inside.
Serve with pasta sauce, if desired.
Be sure to taste an olive before starting and if they are salty, drain and rinse them to help reduce the saltiness.
You can substitute extra lean ground beef, turkey or veal for the chicken.
Learn more about
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||20 % / 218 mg|
|Vitamin B12:||35 %|