Here's a healthy snack to put in your lunchbox! These muffins are nutritious and filling—thanks to the protein-filled cottage cheese, combined with the whole-wheat and oats—which makes them as good a choice for breakfast as they are for a healthy snack to take along (or put in the kids' lunchbox!).
The cottage cheese also optimizes the texture, making the muffins extra moist. The sweet combination of strawberries and peaches, enhanced by the dash of cinnamon, gives them the perfect seasonal flavour as we transition from summer to fall.
And when these fresh fruits are no longer in season, try cooking this healthy snack with pears or with thawed frozen strawberries and peaches. Grab your lunchbox, and you're ready.
- Prep: 10 minutes
- Cooking: 23 minutes
- Dry ingredients
- 250 ml (1 cup) all-purpose flour
- 250 ml (1 cup) whole-wheat flour
- 180 ml (¾ cup) quick-cooking rolled oats
- 60 ml (¼ cup) ground flaxseed
- 5 ml (1 tsp) baking powder
- 5 ml (1 tsp) baking soda
- 2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- Wet ingredients
- 250 ml (1 cup) Canadian cottage cheese
- 1 egg
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) honey
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) canola oil
- 125 ml (½ cup) Canadian milk
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) vanilla extract
- Fruit and garnishes
- 180 ml (¾ cup) fresh or frozen strawberries, cut in small pieces
- 180 ml (¾ cup) fresh or frozen peaches, cut in small pieces
- Quick-cooking rolled oats (optional)
- Cinnamon (optional)
DID YOU KNOW?
When you see the Blue Cow Logo on a product, it means it's made with 100% Canadian quality milk that meets some of the highest standards in the world.
Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). In a bowl, combine dry ingredients.
In a second bowl, combine wet ingredients. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix with a fork. Add strawberries and peaches and combine carefully.
Using an ice cream scoop, portion 12 muffins into an oiled muffin tin. If desired, top each muffin with rolled oats and a sprinkling of cinnamon.
Bake for 23 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the batter comes out clean.