This recipe is taken from the 2016 Milk Calendar. Take your taste buds on an adventure. This savoury soup is the perfect way to warm up your loved ones.
- Prep: 15 min
- Cooking: 20 min
- (900 mL) carton low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) of your favourite Indian curry paste
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) split red lentils
- 1 large sweet potato peeled and cut into ½-inch (1 cm) pieces
- 1 cup (250 mL) Milk
- 2 cups (500 mL) packed baby spinach
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lemon juice
- Plain Yogurt for serving (optional)
Place broth, onion and curry paste in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Add lentils, reduce heat and simmer covered for 5 min. Add sweet potato, continue to simmer covered about 10 min until lentils and sweet potatoes are tender. Add milk to hot soup.
Ladle about ⅓ of the soup into a blender or food processor (being very careful as it is hot). Purée, then return to soup in saucepan. Add spinach. Stir over medium heat, but don’t boil, just until spinach is wilted, 1 to 2 min. Stir in lemon juice. Serve with a dollop of yogurt, if using.
Look for split red lentils as they cook in half the time as regular red lentils.
If you like a silky smooth soup, purée entire soup and leave out spinach. Substitute butternut squash for sweet potato.
Learn more about
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||6 % / 65 mg|
|Vitamin A:||17 %|
|Vitamin B12:||13 %|