Beef, bacon and horseradish, Swiss Cheeseburger
- Prep: 20 min
- Cooking: 15 min
- 1 1/3 lb (600 g) lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) cooked bacon bits
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped horseradish
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) bread crumbs
- 3 to 4 oz (90 to 120 g) Canadian Swiss finely diced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 to 6 whole wheat burger buns
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) ketchup
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) barbecue sauce
- 4 to 6 slices of tomato
- 4 to 6 thin slices of red onion
- 4 to 6 lettuce leaves
Preheat BBQ to medium-high or the oven to 425 °F (210 °C).
Place all ingredients, including the cheese, except garnish and toppings, in a mixing bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste and combine. Divide preparation into four to six parts and shape into patties.
Place patties on grill or on parchment-covered baking sheet on center rack of oven. Cook burgers 12-15 minutes turning them over only once.
Heat burger buns.
Mix ketchup and BBQ sauce and spread on burger buns. Garnish patties with tomato, onion slices and lettuce.
You can also cook the burgers in a skillet over medium-high heat, 5 to 7 minutes per side.