This recipe is taken from the 2015 Milk Calendar. Surprise the family with yummy tacos all rolled into a delicious casserole.
- Prep: 15 min
- Cooking: 20 min
- 1 tbsp (15) butter
- 1 lb (450 g) ground chicken
- 1/2 small onion finely chopped
- 1 red pepper finely diced
- 1 to 2 tbsp (15 to 30 mL) chili powder
- 2 tsp (10 mL) dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 19 oz (540 mL) can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 cup (250) frozen corn
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) salsa
- 1 cup (250 mL) Milk
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (500 mL) grated Canadian Cheddar divided
- 1 cup (250 mL) tortilla chips barely crushed
Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat; cook chicken with onion, red pepper, chili powder to taste, oregano and salt, using a fork to break up meat, for about 5 min or until chicken is cooked through. Stir in beans, corn and salsa. Whisk milk with flour. Gradually stir milk mixture into chicken mixture. Bring to a boil, then stir frequently for 2 min.
Remove from heat; stir in 1 cup (250 mL) of the cheese. Transfer into an 8-inch (2 L) square dish.
Sprinkle chicken with tortilla chips then remaining cheese. Bake for 10 min or just until cheese is melted. Let stand for 5 min before serving. Scoop out into bowls. Serve with additional salsa, sour cream and guacamole.
If you like spicy food, stir in or serve with hot pepper sauce.
Mix it up and try different flavoured taco or tortilla chips.
Use ground beef instead of chicken.
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||36 % / 392 mg|
|Vitamin C:||50 %|
|Vitamin B12:||50 %|