Looking for a lunchbox meal that's both tasty and easy to prepare? Try this delicious tao wrap recipe! Not only is it healthy and filling, it's also very tasty.
Don't be intimidated by the list of ingredients: this recipe is quick and easy to prepare, and each element adds the perfect touch to balance it all—the sweetness of mango, the freshness of mint, the crunch of cucumber... and the creaminess of mozzarella made from 100% Canadian milk. A real delight to add to your lunchbox!
Tip: for a vegetarian twist on this recipe, substitute the chicken for tofu.
Try it and enjoy a satisfying, nourishing meal on the go!
- Prep: 25 minutes
- Cooking: 5 minutes + 5 minutes
- 2 rice paper sheets (22 cm)
- 70 g rice vermicelli (prepare as per package instructions)
- 4 thin slices of mozzarella or cheddar cheese made from 100% Canadian milk
- 4 strips of cooked chicken
- 4 thin slices of cucumber
- 4 julienne strips of mango
- 4 julienne strips of red bell pepper
- 10 fresh peppermint leaves
- 160 ml (2/3 cup) chicken broth
- 50 ml (3 1⁄2 tbsp) brown sugar
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) light soy sauce
- 5 ml (1 tsp) dark soy sauce
- 2.5 ml (1⁄2 tsp) rice vinegar
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) Shaoxing wine
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) cornstarch
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) cold water
- Toasted sesame seeds, to taste
- Thai chili, minced, to taste
DID YOU KNOW?
When you see the Blue Cow Logo on a product, it means it's made with 100% Canadian quality milk that meets some of the highest standards in the world.
In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and water.
In a small saucepan, mix the broth, sugar, soy sauces, vinegar and wine and bring to a boil.
When the sauce begins to boil, stir in the starch-water mixture and lower the heat to simmer.
Stir well and remove the sauce as soon as it reaches the desired consistency (about 1 minute). Set aside.
Soak a rice sheet in lukewarm water and drain well.
Place the sheet on an aerated plate or a textured cutting board.
Wait until the sheet is malleable and slightly sticky (about 30 seconds).
On the first third of the sheet, place the mint, cheese, vermicelli, chicken, cucumber, mango and bell pepper.
Fold the sheet over the ingredients, fold in the sides and finish by rolling as tightly as possible.
Repeat for the second roll.
Garnish with sesame seeds and hot pepper.
Serve at room temperature with dipping sauce.
- The thinner the ingredients are sliced, the easier it will be to roll the wrap.
- The first ingredients placed on the rice paper will be the ones that are visible in the finished rolls. Choose mint, bell pepper and mango to give them a nice colour.
- Ideally, for greater freshness, prepare the roll on the day of eating.
- For transport, use "Bento-style" sealed containers.