Restaurant favourite made at home for the fraction of the cost and packed with tons of flavour and goodness. Dinner is ready in 20 minutes, can’t beat that!
- Prep: 10 min
- Cooking: 10 min
- 12 oz (375 g) extra lean or lean ground beef
- 1 cup (250 mL) pre-shredded carrots
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 can (19 oz/540 ml) kidney or black beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) prepared tomato salsa
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chili powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each, salt
- and Pepper
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded Canadian Monterey Jack or Cheddar cheese divided
- 4 oz (125 g) baked corn tortilla chips
- 2 cups (500 mL) bagged torn romaine lettuce
- 1 cup (250 mL) grape tomatoes halved
- Light sour cream
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add ground beef, carrots and garlic, cook breaking up beef with a spoon, for about 7 min or until no longer pink; drain off any fat. Stir in beans, salsa, chili powder, oregano, salt and pepper and cook for 1 min or until beans are warmed. Remove from heat and stir in half of the shredded Canadian Monterey Jack cheese.
Meanwhile, divide baked tortilla chips and romaine lettuce among each serving plate. Top with beef and bean mixture and sprinkle with halved grape tomatoes and remaining cheese. Dollop with sour cream.
Kids Tip: Kids can be in charge of the assembly of the taco salad: divide tortillas chips and romaine lettuce, top with tomatoes and cheese and for the final dollop with sour cream.
Cooking Tips: A garlic press is a great tool and saves time.
Use mild, medium or hot salsa or replace with chili or tomato sauce.
For the Adventurous: Add 1 minced hot chile pepper with the beef and stir in 2 tbsp (30 ml) chopped fresh cilantro with the beans.
Learn more about
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||30 % / 327 mg|
|Vitamin B12:||126 %|