This recipe is taken from the 2003 Milk Calendar. A fantastic taste of explosion at breakfast, lunch or as a snack. This is also a great way to use up those ripe bananas that no one seems to eat.
- Prep: 10 min
- Cooking: 25 min
- 1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (250 mL) whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp (10 mL) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking soda
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) shredded sweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup (250 mL) Milk
- 1 cup (250 mL) mashed ripe banana
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) melted butter
- 2 tsp (10 mL) vanilla extract
- 1 can (8 oz/225 mL) crushed pineapple drained
Preheat oven to 400 ºF (200 ºC). Lightly butter or spray 12 nonstick muffin pans.
In large bowl, combine all-purpose and whole wheat flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt and half the coconut. In separate bowl, whisk together brown sugar, egg, milk, banana, butter and vanilla. Stir in pineapple. Pour over dry ingredients and stir just until moistened.
Spoon into prepared pan; sprinkle tops with remaining coconut. Bake for 25 min or until tops are firm to the touch.
In place of crushed pineapple, substitute pineapple tidbits, drained and chopped.
For the Adventurous: Add 1 tbsp (15 mL) minced gingerroot to batter for a kick.
Healthy Eating Tip: Get What Milk Gives - Enjoy this muffin with a cold glass of milk. All types of milk (skim, 1 %, 2 %, whole and chocolate) contain energy plus 15 essential nutrients.
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||6 % / 64 mg|