This recipe is taken from the 1998 Milk Calendar. It's 6 p.m. and you haven't started dinner. Here's a dish the whole family will enjoy. If you like your food spicy, use hot salsa.
- James Barber
- Prep: 10 min
- Cooking: 10 min
- 1 lb (450 g) fusilli or penne or rotini pasta
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) butter
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups (625 mL) Milk
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 2 cups (500 mL) shredded Sharp Canadian Cheddar cheese
- 2 cups (500 mL) diced cooked chicken or ham
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) frozen corn
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) thinly sliced green onions
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) salsa sauce
Cook pasta according to package directions.
Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually whisk in milk and salt, making sure there are no lumps. Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 1 minute.
Reduce heat to low, add cheese a handful at a time, stirring until melted. Stir in chicken, corn, green onions and salsa; heat through.
To serve, drain pasta; turn into a large bowl. Toss sauce with pasta and sprinkle with additional shredded Cheddar cheese, if desired.
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||39 % / 426 mg|