This recipe is taken from the 2008 Milk Calendar. Plenty of flavour and a luscious sauce are sure to make this quick shrimp dish a new favourite. Serve over jasmine rice or rice noodles with fresh cucumber slices on the side.
- Prep: 10 min - 15 min
- Cooking: 10 min - 15 min
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 carrots thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) hot pepper flakes
- 1 red bell pepper halved and thinly sliced
- 1 cup (250 mL) 35 % cream
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) peanut butter
- 1 lb (450 g) large shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) orange juice or 2 tbsp (30 mL) lime juice freshly squeezed
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) fresh basil chopped
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat; sauté garlic, carrots, onion and hot pepper flakes, stirring, for about 4 min or until onions are softened. Add red pepper; cook, stirring, for 1 min.
Stir in cream and peanut butter; bring to a boil, stirring until peanut butter is melted. Stir in shrimp and simmer, stirring often, for about 3 min or just until shrimp are pink and opaque. Stir in orange juice, basil leaves and salt.
For the Adventurous: Replace hot pepper flakes with 2 tsp (10 mL) chili-garlic paste or 1 sliced fresh Thai chile and replace half of shrimp with 8 oz (250 g) sea scallops.
Learn more about
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||10 % / 108 mg|
|Vitamin A:||112 %|
|Vitamin B6:||68 %|
|Vitamin D:||62 %|
|Vitamin C:||101 %|