This recipe is taken from the 1997 Milk Calendar. Supper on the table in 25 minutes. a really quick one, that's extra cheesey.
- James Barber
- Prep: 15 min
- Cooking: 15 min - 20 min
- 2 cups (500 mL) shredded Canadian Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded Canadian Mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) grated Canadian Parmesan cheese
- 1 lb (450 g) penne
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) butter
- 2 small garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dry mustard
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground nutmeg
- 3 cups (750 mL) Milk
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) fresh herbs finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
In a bowl, toss cheeses together and set aside.
Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain well; turn into a 13 x 9-inch (33 x 23 cm) baking dish. Set aside.
Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic; cook for 1 minute. Stir in flour, dry mustard and nutmeg. Gradually whisk in milk, making sure there are no lumps. Stirring, bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 4 to 5 minutes. Remove saucepan from heat.
Set aside 3/4 cup (180 mL) of tossed cheese. Add remaining cheese to sauce a handful at a time, stirring until melted. Stir herbs, salt and pepper into sauce.
Toss sauce with pasta. Sprinkle with reserved cheese. Place baking dish under broiler for about 1 minute or until cheese is bubbling.
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||53 % / 584 mg|
|Vitamin B12:||69 %|