When the kids are hungry after school, but dinner's still a bit away, you can whip up these delicious whole-wheat nachos with corn for a quick afternoon tide-me-over. Reserve a few slices for yourself, because there won't be any left over once the kids are done!
- Prep: 15 min
- Cooking: 15 min
- 3 6-1/2-inches (16 cm) whole wheat pitas
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) sun-dried tomato pesto
- 2/3 cup (160 mL) shredded Canadian Old Cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) shredded Canadian Mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) shredded Canadian Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) corn kernels
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) sliced black olives
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) sour cream
- Chopped fresh chives
Preheat oven to 350 °F (180 °C). Cut each pita into 8 wedges and arrange on a baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven for 7 to 8 minutes or until crisp. Allow to cool.
Preheat broiler. In a small bowl, mix together cheeses. Spread the pita wedges onto a large parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Spread the sun-dried tomato pesto over the pita wedges. Sprinkle with half the corn, olives and tomatoes and 1/3 cup (80 mL) of the cheese. Repeat with remaining corn, olives and tomatoes. Sprinkle all over with remaining cheese.
Broil for 3 to 4 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted. Place nachos onto a serving platter and top with sour cream.
For an interesting twist, you can replace the sun-dried tomato pesto with an olive tapenade.
Learn more about
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||24 % / 263 mg|
|Vitamin B12:||22 %|