This is the Toulouse Sausage with Onion Jam and Gouda recipe.
- Prep: 15 min
- Cooking: 35 min
- 4 Toulouse or herb sausages
- 4 Ultra-Moist Hot Dog Rolls (steamed or regular) toasted
- 4 oz (120 g) Canadian Gouda shredded
- Onion Jam
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 3 red onions thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) brown sugar
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) grenadine syrup
- 1 cup (250 mL) red wine
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
In a saucepan, melt butter and cook onions until they are transparent. Add brown sugar and stir then add grenadine, red wine and red wine vinegar. Salt and pepper to taste.
Cook onion jam over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 20 to 30 minutes, until onions are soft and liquid is reduced and syrupy. Set aside.
Preheat the barbecue.
Poach sausages for 3 minutes then grill on barbecue, on all sides, for 5 minutes or until well done. Remove from heat and place on toasted buns.
Top with onion jam and cheese.
Learn more about
Nutritional informationPer serving