This recipe is taken from the 1999 Milk Calendar. This is the Traditional English Trifle recipe.
- Prep: 20 min
- Refrigeration: 3 h
- 1 9-inch (23 cm) sponge cake or 24 ladyfingers or Savoiardi biscuits
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) strawberry jam or raspberry jam
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) sherry or orange juice
- 1 pkg (10 oz/300 g) frozen strawberries thawed
- 1 pkg (10 oz/300 g) frozen raspberries thawed
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) sugar
- 2 cups (500 mL) 35 % cream
- 1 can 14 oz (398 mL) custard
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract
- Slivered almonds toasted
- Red and green candied cherries quartered
DID YOU KNOW?
When you see the Blue Cow Logo on a product, it means it's made with 100% Canadian quality milk that meets some of the highest standards in the world.
Cut sponge cake into thin slices. Arrange half of the slices in the bottom of a large trifle or glass bowl. Spread with the jam and sprinkle with half of the sherry. Arrange remaining cake slices in bowl and sprinkle with remaining sherry.
Mix strawberries and raspberries together. Add 2 tbsp (30 mL) sugar to thawed berries and stir gently. Spoon over cake slices in bowl. Whip 1/2 cup (125 mL) cream until light. Fold custard into cream. Spoon custard mixture over fruit layer in bowl.
Whip remaining cream, reserved sugar and vanilla until light. Spoon or pipe over custard layer in bowl.
Chill for at least 3 hrs or overnight. Decorate with almonds and candied cherries.
Learn more about
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||7 % / 76 mg|
|Vitamin A:||20 %|
|Vitamin B12:||20 %|