This is the Traditional poutine recipe.
- Prep: 20 min
- Cooking: 30 min
- 8 cups (2 L) unpeeled yellow-fleshed potatoes cut into sticks or quarters
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) melted butter or frying oil
- 1 lb (450 g) cheddar cheese curds
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) cider vinegar
- ¼–1/3 cup (60–80 ml) brown sugar
- 3 cups (750 mL) beef broth
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) tomato paste
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) flour
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) HP Sauce
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) soy sauce
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- Freshly ground pepper
DID YOU KNOW?
When you see the Blue Cow Logo on a product, it means it’s made with 100% Canadian quality milk.LEARN MORE
Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C) OR heat oil in a fryer.
Toss potatoes with melted butter and spread onto a baking sheet.
Bake in oven for 25–30 minutes or until tender and golden, turning potatoes over a few times during baking; OR
Fry potatoes in oil until tender and golden. Drain on absorbent paper.
Meanwhile, in a skillet, melt butter and brown onions on medium heat.
Add vinegar and brown sugar. Bring to a boil and let boil for 3–4 minutes.
Pour beef broth into skillet and return to a boil.
Mix remaining sauce ingredients and add to skillet, stirring with a whisk.
Let simmer until thickened.
Divide potatoes into 4 bowls, garnish with cheese, top with sauce and enjoy.
Learn more about
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||33 % / 366 mg|
|Vitamin B12:||36 %|
|Vitamin C:||73 %|