This recipe is taken from the 2004 Milk Calendar. A quick and satisfying dish full of great tasting fresh veggies and Asian flavours - right in the trend of a meal-in-a-bowl!
- Prep: 15 min
- Cooking: 15 min
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
- 2 carrots thinly sliced
- 2 stalks celery thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) minced gingerroot
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (500 mL) beef stock
- 2 cups (500 mL) Milk
- 1 pkg (14 oz/400 g) thick noodles (Udon) pre-cooked or 3 cups (750 mL) cooked spaghetti broken
- 8 oz (250 g) cooked beef cubed
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) soy sauce
- 1 cup (250 mL) halved snow peas or chopped green beans
- Hot pepper sauce (optional)
In pot, heat oil over medium heat; cook carrots, celery, garlic, onion and ginger, stirring, for 3 min or until softened. Add flour; cook, stirring, for 1 min. Gradually pour in beef stock and milk ; bring to simmer. Simmer, stirring often, for 5 min or until slightly thickened.
Stir in noodles, beef and soy sauce. Cook, stirring often, for 3 min or until hot. Stir in snow peas. Cook for 2 min or until snow peas are tender-crisp. Season to taste with hot pepper sauce (if using).
Leftover roast beef, steak or deli roast beef can be used.-Christine Cushing
For the Adventurous: For a more exotic Asian flavour, add 1/4 cup (60 mL) unsweetened shredded coconut with carrots and stir in 1 tbsp (15 mL) fish sauce and 1 tsp (5 mL) Thai chili paste with soy sauce. Substitute 4 heads chopped baby bok choy for snow peas.
Learn more about
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||19 % / 209 mg|
|Vitamin B12:||111 %|
|Vitamin A:||77 %|