This is the Tuna melt stuffed tomatoes recipe.
- Prep: 20 min
- Cooking: 20 min
- 6–8 large tomatoes
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) cooked quinoa
- 1 can (6 oz – 180 g) tuna in water drained
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) red onion chopped
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) olives pitted and sliced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh oregano chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 6 oz (180 g) Canadian Mozzarella cubed
Preheat grill to medium-high heat or oven to 450°F (230°C).
Cut a thin slice off the bottom of each tomato so they sit upright. Cut the top off to create an opening large enough to stuff them. Scoop out and chop flesh, discarding seeds. Turn tomatoes upside down on a plate lined with paper towel to drain.
In a bowl, mix quinoa, tuna, onion, olives and oregano. Season with salt and pepper. Add tomato flesh and cheese.
Stuff tomatoes with the mixture and cover with tomato tops.
Transfer tomatoes to an aluminum plate if grilling or to an oven-safe baking dish if using the oven. Cook on the grill or in oven for 15–20 min or until filling is very hot and cheese has melted. Serve immediately.
Cheese alternative: Canadian Havarti, Monterey Jack.
Learn more about
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||13 % / 138 mg|
|Vitamin B12:||54 %|
|Vitamin C:||22 %|