Chili is pure comfort food and so easy to prepare. This version is made with turkey and mouth-watering cubes of Canadian Cheddar stirred right in. Serve with bowls of sour cream or yogurt, chopped tomatoes and diced avocado.
- Cooking: 3 h - 8 h
- 1 lb (450 g) lean ground turkey or lean ground chicken
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 cans (19 oz/540 mL) each mixed beans drained and rinsed
- 1 can (28 oz/796 mL) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (5 1/2 oz/156 mL) tomato paste
- 2 cups (500 mL) frozen corn kernels
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) shredded carrots
- 2 to 3 tbsp (30 to 45 ml) chili powder
- 1 tsp (10 mL) ground cumin
- 1 tsp (5 mL) hot pepper sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) small cubes Canadian Cheddar cheese
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add ground turkey, garlic and onion, cook breaking up turkey with a spoon, for about 8 min or until no longer pink.
Meanwhile, in a 20 to 26-cup (5 to 6.5 l) slow cooker, combine beans, tomatoes, tomato paste, corn, carrots, chili powder to taste, cumin, hot pepper sauce, salt and pepper. With a slotted spoon transfer turkey mixture to slow cooker and stir; discarding any fat left in the pan. Cover with lid and cook on Low for 6 to 8 hrs or on High for 3 to 4 hrs or until chili is hot and bubbling.
Stir in Canadian Cheddar cheese.
Kids Tip: Kids can stir all the ingredients together in the slow cooker and program the cooking time.
Cooking Tips: Refrigerate leftovers in a covered container for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost in refrigerator or microwave and heat until hot and bubbly. For a packed lunch, transfer hot chili into an insulated thermos and pack additional cheese for topping.
For the Adventurous: Use Canadian Sharp Cheddar cheese.
For smoky flavour, omit the hot pepper sauce and add 1 to 2 chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce.
Learn more about
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||24 % / 264 mg|
|Vitamin B6:||35 %|
|Vitamin C:||34 %|