This recipe is taken from the 2013 Milk Calendar. Tuna melts come to the rescue when you think there’s nothing in the house for dinner! Add a fresh twist with tangy yogurt, fresh herbs and zingy aged Canadian Cheddar, taking the old-fashioned staple up town.
- Prep: 10 min
- Cooking: 5 min
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) light mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh herbs (basil, parsley, thyme, dill and/or tarragon)
- Pinch of salt
- 2 cans (each 6 oz/170 g) water-packed light tuna drained
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded Canadian old Cheddar, Gouda or Colby cheese divided
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) finely chopped cucumber
- 1 cup (250 mL) baby spinach (or 1/2 cup/125 mL seedlings or sprouts)
- Four 3/4-inch (2 cm) thick slices bakery-style multigrain bread
DID YOU KNOW?
When you see the Blue Cow Logo on a product, it means it’s made with 100% Canadian quality milk.LEARN MORE
Preheat broiler with rack 6 inches (15 cm) from heat.
In a bowl, using a fork, combine yogurt, mayonnaise, herbs, salt and pepper to taste; mix in tuna, flaking into smaller pieces, half of the cheese and the cucumber.
Place bread on a baking sheet and lightly toast both sides under broiler. Layer baby spinach on toast and mound tuna mixture on top, pressing lightly. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
Broil for 3 to 4 min or until tuna mixture is warmed and cheese on top is bubbling and melted.
If you’re only cooking 1 or 2 tuna melts at a time, a toaster oven is the perfect appliance to use.
Tips for Kids: Tuna melts make terrific afternoon snacks or as a protein boost before or after sports. Store the tuna mixture in an airtight container for up to 2 days to have on hand for older kids to make their own melts when they need a snack.Smaller tuna melts can be made on whole wheat English muffins, small whole wheat rolls or half slices of bread.
Variations:Add 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped black olives or capers to tuna mixture and use Canadian Asiago, Fruilano or aged Provolone cheese. Use baby arugula instead of spinach.
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||30 % / 325 mg|
|Vitamin B12:||148 %|
|Vitamin D:||80 %|