This recipe is taken from the 1982 Milk Calendar. Everybody likes chicken. Nobody likes leftovers. So give day-old chicken a new lease on life with this spicy recipe which takes only minutes to prepare.
- Prep: 15 min
- Cooking: 10 min
- 6 patty shells (vol-au-vent)
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) butter
- 1 cup (250 mL) mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) celery finely chopped
- 1 apple peeled, cored and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) green bell pepper chopped
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (500 mL) Milk
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) curry powder
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) lemon juice
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) frozen peas
- 3 cups (750 mL) cooked chicken diced
Melt butter in medium saucepan; add mushrooms, celery, apple and green pepper; cook until tender, about 5 min. Stir in flour until blended.
Gradually add milk, stirring constantly until mixture thickens and comes to a boil. Add seasonings and lemon juice; simmer for 2 or 3 min. Add mayonnaise, peas and chicken; heat through. Spoon into and over patty shells.
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||12 % / 130 mg|
|Vitamin B12:||32 %|