This is the Warm Tropical Salad with Queso Fresco recipe.
- Prep: 20 min
- Cooking: 20 min - 40 min
- 10 oz (300 g) jumbo shrimp shelled (leave tail on) or 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Cajun spices
- 1 red bell pepper quartered
- 1/2 fresh pineapple peeled and sliced
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) lime juice
- 2 tbsp (10 mL) lime zest
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 cups (1 L) romaine lettuce or iceberg lettuce shredded
- 2 avocados peeled and sliced
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) Canadian Queso Fresco crumbled
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) fresh coriander (cilantro)
DID YOU KNOW?
When you see the Blue Cow Logo on a product, it means it's made with 100% Canadian quality milk that meets some of the highest standards in the world.
Preheat grill to medium heat.
Season shrimp or chicken with Cajun spices and cook on grill, about 5 minutes for shrimp or 15 minutes for chicken. If using chicken, slice and set aside.
Grill bell pepper and pineapple, then cut into pieces.
Mix lime juice, lime zest and olive oil together. Season with salt and pepper.
Arrange lettuce, avocados, grilled pepper, pineapple, shrimp or chicken and Queso Fresco on a serving platter.
Garnish with cilantro and serve the dressing on the side.
In a skillet, heat a bit of oil over high heat and sauté shrimp for about 5 minutes.
In a skillet, heat a bit of oil over medium heat and cook the chicken breasts 7–8 minutes on each side.
In another skillet, melt a bit of butter and brown the bell pepper and pineapple.
How to make your own Cajun spice mix:
INGREDIENTS1 tbsp (15 ml) paprika2 tsp (10 ml) dried thyme2 tsp (10 ml) dried oregano½ tbsp (7 ml) garlic powder1 tsp (5 ml) onion powder1 tsp (5 ml) dry mustard1 tsp (5 ml) ground cumin¼–½ tsp (1–2 ml) cayenne pepper Salt and freshly ground pepper
PREPARATIONMix all the ingredients together and store in a spice jar.
Cheese alternatives: Canadian Cheddar, Gouda, Mozzarella.
Learn more about
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||21 % / 233 mg|
|Vitamin B12:||53 %|
|Vitamin C:||121 %|