This recipe is taken from the 2013 Milk Calendar. This stew is similar to a risotto but is made with protein-rich quinoa. Combined with chicken, milk, and plenty of carrots, peas and tomatoes, you get all four food groups in one pot –– a must-try recipe, indeed!
- Prep: 10 min - 15 min
- Cooking: 30 min
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 3 thinly sliced carrots
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 chopped onion
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried basil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 lb (500 g) boneless skinless chicken or turkey cut into 1-1/2-inch (3.5 cm) chunks
- 1 cup (250 mL) quinoa rinsed
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) all-purpose flour or quinoa flour
- 2 cups (500 mL) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups (500 mL) milk heated until steaming
- 1 cup (250 mL) frozen green peas thawed
- 1 cup (250 mL) drained canned chopped fresh tomatoes or diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) grated Canadian Parmesan cheese divided
In a large pot, melt butter over medium-high heat. Sauté carrots, garlic, onion, thyme, basil, 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each, salt and pepper for about 5 min or until softened. Add chicken; cook, stirring, for 3 min or until white all over. Stir in quinoa.
Whisk flour into broth and stir into pot; bring to simmer, stirring often. Stir in hot milk. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer, stirring once, for about 20 min until quinoa is almost tender (reduce heat to low, if necessary, to prevent boiling over).
Stir in peas and tomatoes; simmer, uncovered, stirring often, for 5 min or until chicken is no longer pink inside and quinoa is tender. Stir in half of the Parmesan cheese; season with pepper to taste and up to 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan if desired.
To use leftover cooked chicken or turkey, use about 3 cups (750 mL) chopped. Sauté the carrot mixture for about 7 min before adding quinoa and add cooked poultry with peas in step 3.
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||27 % / 295 mg|
|Vitamin B6:||78 %|