This is the Winter vegetable Croustade Au Gratin (Cooking Club Size) recipe.
- Prep: 30 min
- Cooking: 35 min - 40 min
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) butter
- 3 onions chopped
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 12 cups (3 L) your choice of winter vegetables (carrots, turnips, rutabaga, celeriac, parsnips, potatoes, sweet potatoes, etc.) peeled and cut in 1 inch sticks or diced
- 2 tsp (10 mL) fennel seeds
- 5 cups (1.25 L) Canadian Old Cheddar shredded
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) butter melted
- 6 slices of whole wheat bread crumbled or diced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
DID YOU KNOW?
When you see the Blue Cow Logo on a product, it means it's made with 100% Canadian quality milk that meets some of the highest standards in the world.
Preheat oven to 400 °F (200 °C).
In a large 5 L saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Sauté onion, garlic, vegetables and fennel seeds and cook for 20 minutes or until onions and garlic are golden. Salt and pepper to taste and transfer to an ovenproof dish.
In a bowl, combine cheese, melted butter, breadcrumbs and parsley. Salt and pepper to taste.
Top vegetables evenly with cheese mixture. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until vegetables are soft and cheese topping is golden and crusty.
Note: The croustade may be prepared ahead and baked or reheated just before serving.
For a change of taste, use Canadian Swiss,Gouda, Medium Cheddar or Provolone.