Mexican food is always a hit and these easy fajitas are sure to become a favourite meal for the entire family.
- Prep: 20 min
- Cooking: 10 min
- 4 large whole wheat flour tortillas
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 1 lb (450 g) boneless skinless chicken cut in thin strips
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) dried oregano
- 1 each sweet red and green pepper cut in thin strips
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) 10% table cream
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lime juice
- Pepper to taste
- Shredded lettuce
- Shredded Canadian Monterey Jack or Cheddar Cheese
- Chopped fresh tomatoes
- Fresh lime wedges
- Sour cream
Warm tortillas according to package directions.
In large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; stir-fry onion for about 3 min until softened. Add chicken, chili powder and oregano; stir-fry for about 3 min or just until chicken is browned all over. Add peppers and stir-fry for 2 min or until wilted.
Whisk flour into cream until smooth; stir into skillet. Simmer, stirring, for about 3 min or until liquid is bubbling and thickened. Stir in lime juice. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon filling along centre of each tortilla; add toppings. Fold up bottom of tortilla then fold sides to enclose filling.
For the Adventurous: For extra flavour, add 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cumin and 1/4 tsp (1 mL) chipotle powder along with the chili powder or half a jalapeno pepper, minced, along with the sweet peppers.
Learn more about
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||28 % / 304 mg|
|Vitamin C:||122 %|
|Vitamin B6:||73 %|