Slightly salty muffins, perfect for an afternoon snack or served warm for breakfast.
- Prep: 1 h
- Cooking: 35 min
- 2 cups (500 mL) zucchini grated
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) salt
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) unbleached flour
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) baking soda
- Pepper to taste
- Espelette pepper to taste (optional)
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) nutmeg grated
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) herbes de Provence
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp (5 mL) sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) unsalted butter melted
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) Canadian Quark cheese
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) snipped chives
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) Canadian Swiss cheese grated
DID YOU KNOW?
When you see the Blue Cow Logo on a product, it means it’s made with 100% Canadian quality milk.LEARN MORE
Place the grated zucchini in a sieve. Add salt and mix. Let stand for 30 minutes at room temperature. Rinse in cold water and drain. Press firmly with your hands to extract as much water as possible.
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease a 12-cup muffin pan with butter or insert silicone or paper liners.
In a large bowl, mix the flours, baking powder, baking soda, pepper, Espelette pepper, garlic powder, nutmeg and herbes de Provence.
In another bowl, beat the eggs with the sugar, butter and Quark. Using a rubber spatula, fold in the well-drained zucchini and Swiss cheese.
Pour the liquid ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients and mix. Divide the batter among the muffin cups.
Bake in the centre of the oven for about 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of a muffin comes out clean.
Once cooled, store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or in the freezer for 3 months.
It takes about 1 medium zucchini to make 1 cup (250 mL) grated zucchini. You will therefore need 2 for this recipe.
Replace Swiss cheese with Canadian Cheddar or Gouda.
Add cubed ham or sliced olives to the batter.
Replace Quark with the same amount of yogurt or milk.
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||16 % / 171 mg|
|Vitamin B12:||33 %|