By Anna Olson
- Prep: 10 min
- Cooking: 12 min - 15 min
- 1 1/4 cups (300 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (250 mL) whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) baking powder
- 1 tsp (10 mL) dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1 cup (250 mL) milk
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) butter melted
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) good quality prepared salsa
- 1 1/4 cup (300 mL) cooked diced chicken or beef
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) cooked black beans
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) shredded mild Canadian Cheddar cheese
- 6 tbsp (90 mL) plain yogurt
- 6 tbsp (90 mL) chopped green onion
Place a large baking sheet upside down on middle rack of oven and preheat oven to 425° F (220° C). Butter 1 or 2 more large baking sheets.
Crust: In large bowl, combine all-purpose and whole wheat flours, baking powder, oregano and salt. Pour in Milk and butter; stir with a fork until soft dough forms. Turn out onto lightly floured surface and knead a couple of times just until smooth. Divide into 6 pieces. Roll or pat 3 pieces into 6-inch (15 cm) circles and place on prepared baking sheet.
Toppings: Spread ¼ cup (60 mL) of salsa on each crust. Sprinkle with half of the chicken or beef, black beans and cheddar cheese, evenly between pizzas.
Place pizzas on baking sheet on top of the hot baking sheet in oven. Bake for 12 to 15 min or until crust is golden, toppings are hot and cheese is bubbling. Meanwhile, repeat with remaining 3 pizzas. If you don’t have another baking sheet, leave pizzas on the work surface while you add toppings and reuse the prepared baking sheet when first batch is done (there is no need to let it cool).
Top each pizza with one tablespoon each of yogurt and green onions.
As an alternative, use leftover chili in place of salsa, meat and beans for an even faster version.
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||39 % / 429 mg|