This recipe is taken from the 1993 Milk Calendar. This is the Baked Chicken Parmesan recipe.
- Prep: 20 min
- Cooking: 40 min - 45 min
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs beaten
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) grated Canadian Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups (310 mL) Milk
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) dried basil
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) dried oregano
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) tomato sauce
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded Canadian Mozzarella cheese
Pat chicken dry. Pound to flatten slightly. Dust chicken lightly with flour. Dip into egg. Combine bread crumbs with 1/4 cup (60 ml) of the Parmesan cheese. Pat bread crumbs mixture into the chicken.
Line a 9 x 13-inch (23 x 33 cm) baking dish with foil. Brush with vegetable oil. Arrange chicken in the dish in a single layer. Bake in a preheated 400 °F (200 °C) oven for 20 min.
Meanwhile, in a medium sized saucepan melt butter and whisk in 2 tbsp (30 ml) flour. Cook, without browning, 3 min.
Whisk in milk. Bring to a gentle boil. Add salt, pepper, basil and oregano. Reduce heat. Cook 5 min, stirring often. Spread some of the creamy sauce on each piece of chicken. Drizzle with tomato sauce. Sprinkle with shredded Mozzarella cheese and remaining Parmesan cheese. Bake 15 to 20 min longer.
This dish can be baked ahead and reheated, covered, at 350 °F (180 °C) for 15-20 min or until heated through.
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||41 % / 449 mg|
|Vitamin B12:||60 %|