This recipe is taken from the 1988 Milk Calendar. This is the Broccoli and Cauliflower with Almonds recipe.
- Prep: 15 min
- Cooking: 25 min - 30 min
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) butter
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups (625 mL) Milk
- 1 tsp (5 mL) curry powder
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) apricot chutney or apricot jam
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded Canadian Swiss cheese
- 10 oz (300 g) fresh (cooked) or frozen broccoli
- 10 oz (300 g) fresh (cooked) or frozen cauliflower
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) butter melted
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) bread crumbs toasted
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) slivered almonds toasted
Melt butter in a medium saucepan. Whisk in flour. Cook 2 to 3 min, stirring, but not browning. Whisk in milk. Bring to a boil. Stir in curry powder and apricot chutney. Reduce heat. Simmer gently 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir in cheese. Cook only until melted.
Place broccoli and cauliflower in a buttered 12-cup (3 L) casserole dish. Pour Cheese Sauce over top.
For topping mix melted butter with bread crumbs and almonds. Sprinkle over vegetables and cheese sauce.
Bake casserole in a preheated 350 °F (180 °C) oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until bubbling.
Microwave Method: In a 12-cup (3 L) glass casserole dish melt abutter on High (100 %) for 30 seconds. Whisk in flour. Cook 30 seconds on High. Whisk in milk, curry powder and chutney. Cook on High 6 to 8 min, stirring every 2 min until sauce has thickened. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir in cheese until melted. Add broccoli and cauliflower. In another glass casserole, melt butter on High 1 minute. Stir in bread crumbs and almonds. Sprinkle over the top of broccoli/cauliflower mixture. Before serving, heat on Medium-High (70 %) for 4 to 6 min or until bubbling.
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||37 % / 403 mg|
|Vitamin C:||67 %|
|Vitamin B12:||55 %|