“This is a creamy twist on hearty Brooklyn-style Italian flavours that delivers spicy, satisfying comfort food, with garlic, sausage, fresh herbs, butter, Ricotta and Bocconcini.” - Kevin Durkee
- Prep: 20 min
- Cooking: 40 min
- 4 large plum tomatoes, cut into 8 wedges
- 6 cloves garlic, cut in half
- 1 lb (450 g) mild Italian sausages, sliced into ½˝ (1 cm) rounds
- 1 lb (450 g) cavatappi (scoobi doo) pasta
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (500 mL) 2% milk
- 3 tsp (15 mL) salt, divided
- 2 tsp (10 mL) freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp (5 mL) red chili flakes (optional)
- 2 cups (500 mL) divided Bella Casara, Quality Cheese Ricotta
- 24 (240 g) Bella Casara, Quality Cheese mini Bocconcini
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) each fresh oregano and flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) breadcrumbs, toasted
- 6 tbsp (90 mL) fresh basil, chopped
Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Butter a 13” x 9˝ (3.5 L) baking dish.
On a large, rimmed non-stick baking sheet, in a single layer, place tomatoes and garlic; season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Bake 5 minutes; remove from oven and add sausages in a single layer. Bake 15–20 minutes or until tomatoes are softened and sausages are golden brown.
Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions until al dente. Drain and set aside.
In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour; cook, stirring for 2 minutes. Whisk in milk; bring to boil while whisking. Reduce heat; cook, whisking for 5 minutes or until thickened. Season with 2 tsp (10 mL) each of salt and pepper and add chili flakes, if using.
Remove from heat; stir in 1½ cups (375 mL) of Ricotta until fully combined. Add sausage mixture, pasta, Bocconcini, oregano and parsley; combine gently.
Spread into prepared dish. Bake for 10 minutes or until crisp and golden.
Dollop remaining Ricotta on top, let stand 5 minutes. Spoon into bowls; sprinkle with breadcrumbs and basil.
Cheese alternatives: Canadian Ricotta, Bocconcini.
Learn more about