A fresh twist turns this comfort food into a special dessert. The natural sweetness of pear, apple and cream make this a real treat.
- Prep: 1 h
- Cooking: 45 min - 55 min
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 2 pears peeled, cored and cut into 1/4-in (5 mm) wedges
- 2 apples peeled, cored and cut into 1/4-in (5 mm) wedges
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) brown sugar
- 5 cups (1.25 L) 1/2 inch (1 cm) cubed stale egg bread or French bread
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) coarsely chopped raisins
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) coarsely chopped pecans
- 2 1/4 cups (560 mL) 35 % cream
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) sugar
- 2 tsp (10 mL) vanilla extract
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cinnamon
In large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add fruit; cook, stirring occasionally until tender. Stir in brown sugar. Increase heat; cook 3 min. Remove from heat, stir in bread, raisins and pecans. Set aside.
In large bowl, whisk cream, eggs, sugar, vanilla extract and spices. Stir bread into cream mixture. Let stand 45 min, stirring occasionally.
Turn into a 9-in (23 cm) buttered baking pan. Bake in preheated 350 °F (180 °C) oven 40 to 50 min until edges of bread are browned and a knife inserted near centre comes out clean.
Serve warm or at room temperature with custard or whipped cream.
Learn more about
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||9 % / 196 mg|
|Vitamin A:||32 % / 319 mcg|
|Riboflavin:||18 % / 0.3 mg|
|Vitamin D:||20 % / 1 mcg|
|Folate:||18 % / 39 mcg|