This is the Cheesy curry oyster stew recipe.
- Prep: 15 min
- Cooking: 20 min
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 2 French shallots chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 1/2 cups (625 L) butternut squash diced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) curry paste or powder
- 2 cups (500 mL) vegetable broth no salt added
- 4 cups (1 L) chard coarsely chopped
- 48 fresh oysters shucked, with their juice
- 2 cups (500 mL) Canadian Smoked Cheddar grated
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) cornstarch
- Freshly ground pepper
In a large saucepan, melt butter on medium-high heat. Cook shallots and garlic for 2 min.
Add squash and curry paste; cook 2 more min.
Pour broth into saucepan and bring to a boil. Simmer, covered, for 5–7 min or until squash begins to soften.
Add chard and stir; cook for 2–3 min.
Add oysters and cook 3 more min.
Mix cheese with cornstarch. Sprinkle over mixture in saucepan while stirring. Let cheese melt and sauce thicken. Add a little cornstarch mixed with cold water if sauce is not thick enough, as the quantity of oyster juice may vary.
Season with pepper, top with more cheese, if desired, and serve.
Cooking tip: When shucking oysters, hold the curved side of the shell down to retain all the juice, which will add delicious flavour to the sauce.
Cheese alternatives: Canadian Provolone, Gouda, Aged Cheddar.
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||32 % / 352 mg|
|Vitamin B12:||928 %|