Cheesy paella with grilled peppersOur dietitians' favourite
Canadian Monterey Jack gives satisfying body to this light-tasting paella, and the green tea adds mild vegetal undertones.
- Prep: 20 min
- Cooking: 30 min
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) water
- 1 bag of green tea
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) salted butter
- 2 chicken breasts cut into cubes
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) tomato sauce no salt added
- 1 tsp (5 mL) regular or smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground Espelette pepper
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup (250 mL) paella rice (arroz bomba)
- 5 oz (150 g) uncooked shrimp shelled and rinsed
- 1 yellow bell pepper quartered
- 1 green bell pepper quartered
- 4 oz (120 g) Canadian Monterey Jack cut into cubes
DID YOU KNOW?
When you see the Blue Cow Logo on a product, it means it’s made with 100% Canadian quality milk.LEARN MORE
Preheat grill to medium heat.
In a small saucepan, heat water to just before boiling. Remove from heat and steep bag of tea for 3 minutes.
Preheat a large cast-iron skillet or an aluminum pie plate on the grill for 2–3 minutes. Melt butter and brown chicken with onion and garlic for 3–5 minutes.
Add tea, tomato sauce, spices, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
Mix in rice, cover tightly with aluminum foil and cook for 10 minutes. Add shrimp and continue cooking for 10 more minutes or until rice is tender and tea has been absorbed.
Place pepper quarters on the grill and cook on both sides until grill marks appear. Remove from the grill and cut into strips.
Remove skillet from the grill and top with peppers and cheese. Serve immediately.
Alternative cooking methods:
In a skillet over medium heat, cook according to the barbecue method instructions. Broil peppers separately on the top rack of a preheated oven. Cook for a few minutes on both sides or until peppers begin to brown.
Cheese alternatives: Canadian Gouda, Havarti, Mozzarella.
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||17 % / 184 mg|
|Vitamin C:||128 %|