When you’re after a light, yet satisfying meal make this yummy chicken & cheese dumpling and fresh veggie soup. Serve with buttered crusty whole-grain bread.
- Prep: 7 min
- Cooking: 20 min
- 8 oz (225 g) lean ground chicken or ground turkey
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) Canadian Ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) grated Canadian Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 minced clove garlic
- 4 cups (1 L) sodium chicken broth or stock
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) water
- 1 cup (250 mL) carrots shredded
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried thyme
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) halved snow peas
- 2 tsp (10 mL) white wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
In a medium bowl, using a spoon thoroughly combine chicken, Canadian Ricotta and Parmesan cheeses, egg and garlic. Refrigerate.
In large saucepan, combine broth, water, carrots and thyme; cover and bring to a simmer over high heat.
Using two large spoons drop chicken and cheese dumplings into broth (you should have 12 dumplings). Reduce heat and simmer uncovered gently for 5 min.
Stir in snow peas and simmer for 5 min longer or until dumplings are firm and no longer pink inside and vegetables are tender-crisp. Stir in white wine vinegar and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Cooking Tip: Use regular, smooth or light Canadian Ricotta cheese.
To keep the dumplings from breaking apart maintain the broth at a gentle simmer, adjusting the heat as necessary while the dumplings cook.
Variation: Use 3 fresh thyme sprigs and omit the dried thyme. Remove sprigs before serving.
Learn more about
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||19 % / 208 mg|
|Vitamin A:||33 %|
|Vitamin B12:||53 %|