Dates make a wonderful addition to savoury dishes. Here they are the perfect complement to cumin and chick peas.
- Prep: 45 min
- Cooking: 20 min
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) Butter
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) ground cumin
- 2 tsp (10 mL) ground coriander
- Salt and cayenne pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) lemon and orange zest finely grated
- 2 19-oz can (540 mL) chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 6 canned plum tomatoes drained, in small dice
- 1 cup (250 mL) pitted dates chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) fresh lemon juice
- 2/3 cup (160 mL) Canadian Tomme cheese in small dice
DID YOU KNOW?
When you see the Blue Cow Logo on a product, it means it’s made with 100% Canadian quality milk.LEARN MORE
In a skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion, spices and salt and sauté until golden, about 8 minutes.
Add half the citrus zest and all the chickpeas and sauté over high heat until peas are browned, about 5 minutes.
Add tomatoes, dates and 2/3 cup (160 mL) water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
Remove from heat and cool for 15 minutes.
Before serving, add remaining zest, lemon juice, cheese and combine well.
You may use 1 1/3 cups (330 mL) dried chick peas, soaked for 6 hours and boiled in water for about 40 minutes.
Learn more about
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||17 % / 184 mg|
|Vitamin C:||31 %|