Recipe by chef Devan Rajkumar
This rich, creamy, hearty, and fresh potato salad screams “summer”. It can be served either warm or cold and is a great side to any mains. It is filling and a definite crowd pleaser, especially for any vegetarians.
- Prep: 25 min
- Cooking: 8 min - 10 min
- Baking Time: 25 min
- Grilling Time: 6 min - 8 min
- 1 sweet potato about 1/2 lb/250 g) (about 1/2 lb / 225 g)
- 1 yellow-fleshed potato (about 1/2 lb / 225 g)
- 1 purple potato (about 1/2 lb / 225 g) or red potato
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- Salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) 35 % cream
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 tbsp (22 mL) fresh dill chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) whole grain mustard
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) lemon zest grated
- 1 tsp (5 mL) brown sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) fresh parsley chopped
- 1 tsp (5 mL) fresh thyme chopped
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) cayenne pepper
- 1 clove garlic minced
- Crispy Red Onions
- 1 red onion peeled
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 green onion chopped
DID YOU KNOW?
When you see the Blue Cow Logo on a product, it means it’s made with 100% Canadian quality milk.LEARN MORE
Pre-heat oven to 400 °F (200 °C).
Place potatoes horizontally on cutting board and slice vertically into 1/2-inch (1 cm) thick slices. Brush with 1 tbsp (15 mL) of olive oil; season with salt and pepper to taste. Place in a single layer on non-stick baking sheet; bake for 20 minutes. Remove sweet potatoes to a plate. Return baking sheet (with remaining potato slices) to oven; continue baking for 5 minutes or until just tender.
Pre-heat barbecue to medium-high heat. Brush potatoes with remaining olive oil. Grill on greased grill for 3 to 4 minutes per side or until grill marks appear. Cool.
Meanwhile, in a large cold bowl, whip cream until soft peaks form; stir in mayonnaise. In a small bowl, combine dill, mustard, lemon zest, sugar, parsley, thyme, cayenne pepper, and garlic; fold into cream mixture. Stir in potatoes; toss gently to coat. Serve room temperature or refrigerate to chill.
Crispy Red Onions:
Slice onion in half and cut into fine slices. In a bowl, toss onion with flour; shake off excess. In a large skillet, add enough oil to coat the entire skillet and heat on medium heat. Add onion and cook in batches until golden, adding more oil if necessary. Remove to paper towels.
On serving plates divide potato salad, top with crispy onions and green onion.
For extra flavor, fiber and colour, leave the potato skins on. Just remember to wash, scrub and dry the potatoes.
Learn more about
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||4 % / 48 mg|
|Vitamin A:||39 %|
|Vitamin B6:||23 %|
|Vitamin C:||16 %|
|Vitamin E:||26 %|