This is the Irish Stew with Havarti recipe.
- Prep: 20 min
- Cooking: 2 h 15
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 2 lbs (900 g) stewing beef cubes
- 1 large leek thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic
- 4 cups (1 L) different coloured carrots peeled and cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces
- 2 cups (500 mL) parsnips peeled and cut into 1-inch(2.5 cm) pieces
- 2 cups (500 mL) rutabaga cut into 1-inch(2.5 cm) cubes
- 1 bottle (341 mL) of dark beer
- 2 cups (500 mL) low-sodium beef broth
- 2 cups (500 mL) water
- 4 - 5 sprigs of fresh thyme
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 7 oz (210 g) Canadian Havarti cheese finely diced
- 1 1/2 tbsp (22 mL) cornstarch
In a large saucepan over high heat, melt butter and brown beef cubes. Add vegetables and cook 3–4 minutes, stirring constantly. Pour in beer, broth and water. Bring to a boil. Add sprigs of thyme and season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook on medium-low heat for 2 hours or until meat is tender.
Coat Havarti cheese with cornstarch and add to stew to make it thick and creamy.
Remove sprigs of thyme, adjust seasoning and serve.
Cheese alternatives: Canadian Mild Cheddar, Mozzarella.
Learn more about
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||25 % / 278 mg|
|Vitamin B12:||76 %|
|Vitamin A:||61 %|