This is the Mexican Crusty Bread with L’Ancêtre Organic Mild Cheddar recipe.
- Prep: 30 min
- Cooking: 45 min - 1 h
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) chili powder
- Pinch of garlic powder
- 1 onion sliced
- 2 bell peppers your choice of colour, quartered
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 10 oz (300 g) chicken breasts cut in half lengthwise
- 1 round loaf of crusty bread weighing at least 1 1/3 lb (600 g) and 8-inch (20 cm) in diameter
- 1 tomato sliced
- 6 1/2 oz (200 g) L'Ancêtre Organic Mild Cheddar shredded
Preheat oven to 450 °F (230 °C).
Melt butter in a small saucepan and add spices.
In an oven-safe baking dish, mix onion and bell peppers with half of spiced melted butter. Add salt and pepper to taste, and cook in the oven for 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat remaining spiced butter over medium heat in a skillet and cook chicken 2–3 minutes on each side. Season with salt and pepper and reserve.
Cut off top of bread and hollow out the loaf. Reserve hollowed-out bread for another use.
Layer roasted vegetables, chicken and tomato in hollowed-out loaf, creating layers of different colours. Sprinkle shredded Cheddar cheese between each layer. Press down on each layer to thoroughly stuff the loaf. End with a layer of cheese, then put the top back on.
Place in an oven-safe baking dish, moisten crust with water, wrap in aluminum foil and bake at 325 °F (160 °C) for 20–30 minutes.
Let rest 5–10 minutes, cut into wedges and serve with cilantro-lime guacamole.
For home made guacamole: allyouneedischeese/guacamole
Cheese alternatives: Canadian Swiss cheese, Mozzarella
Learn more about
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||20 % / 225 mg|
|Vitamin C:||71 %|